Orchard Home Tuition recognises and accepts its responsibility for the safeguarding of all junior students under the age of 18.
Teacher Recruitment Policy:
- All homestay teachers are required to have a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service, formerly CRB) check completed
- References are mandatory (referees must confirm there is no reason why the potential teacher should not be employed to work with juniors)
- All adults in the teachers home are required to sign a “suitability declaration”
- All teachers are visited at home as part of the recruitment process to check suitability of accommodation and meet the teacher in person
Arrival and Departure
- All students under 18 must use the Orchard Home Tuition transfer service to/from the airport/Eurostar station unless they are accompanied by a parent or responsible adult
- We must be informed if the student is travelling as an “Unaccompanied Minor” with the airline
- The Orchard Home Tuition driver will hold a sign with your name and “Orchard Home Tuition” clearly shown at the meeting point
- Both the student and driver will have contact details for each other, and the emergency contact phone number for Orchard Home Tuition
- On departure any student travelling as an Unaccompanied Minor will be handed over to the airline at check-in. Students aged 15 and under and not travelling as an UM will be escorted to check-in and shown to airport security/passport control area by the driver.
- Students aged 16 & 17 will be shown inside the airport terminal and shown the queue for their check-in desk by the driver
- Students are not allowed to use public transport to/ from the airport/station to reach the teachers home. In exceptional circumstances, with full parental consent, Orchard may negotiate on this for students aged 17.
Guidance for teachers and students
- Students aged 13 and under must be accompanied/supervised at all times. They cannot be left alone at home, and may not use public transport by themselves. Students are cocooned by the teacher and family, and a supplement is charged for this.
- Students aged 14 & 15 years may not use public transport by themselves and are required to be accompanied by the teacher or another adult member of the family at all times.
- Students aged 16 & 17 are allowed controlled independent time in the local area, following a full orientation of the area by the teacher, and must observe the 18.30hrs curfew. They can use public transport by themselves if agreed by their parents, and the teacher is satisfied they student is competent to do so.
- Students aged 16 & 17 may be left alone in the teacher’s home for very short periods of time if the student is happy to be left home alone.